This mornings blog post from MHSA on how even the smallest of gestures would bring homelessness to an end:
What can YOU do to help END homelessness?
This blog has highlighted national, regional and local efforts to end homelessness. We know housing is the solution to homelessness. Housing First initiatives save taxpayer dollars while proving a stable foundation for people experiencing chronic homelessness. We know there needs to be a shift in policy. We know we need to focus on permanent solutions instead of temporary bandages, but what can you do today?
Here are some ideas on how you can become involved in ending homelessness:
- Share your skills to aid in efforts of Housing First programs in your community or surrounding areas. Here are some organizations where you can volunteer.
- Are you already volunteering at a homeless service provider? Talk with the organization’s staff to make sure they are focused on permanent solutions.
Become a Community Connect Partner
- Welcome individuals or families into their new homes by providing a welcome basket, including information about local resources, gift cards to grocery or other stores, invitations to local programs and more. Service providers will then be responsible for delivery of the welcome baskets.
- Provide further opportunities for relationship building and community involvement, if desired by welcome basket recipients, such as welcome dinners, workshops or invitations to other community events.
If you or your community group are interested in learning more about the Community Connect Project, please contact MHSA Outreach Coordinator Caitlin Golden at (617) 367‐6447 ext. 28 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Become a MHSA Member
- Stay up-to-date on advocacy alerts and information about homelessness and its solutions
- Review policy reports on local and state responses to the problem
- Receive quarterly newsletters and e-newsletters
Click here to learn how to become a MHSA Member.
Connect with Social Action Ministries (SAM)
- Clergy, lay leaders and community advocates are encouraged to join Social Action Ministries, a program of MHSA, which encourages all faiths in legislative advocacy to end homelessness.
Attend a MHSA Young Professionals Group meeting or event
- The MHSA Young Professionals Group allows young leaders to learn about homelessness – and how to end it – while having a great time!
- Advocate for policies and programs that serve homeless people on the local, state and federal levels. Let your legislators know that ending homelessness is important to you. Click here to find contact information for your state and federal legislators.
- By donating to MHSA, you are forwarding the movement to move beyond emergency responses and toward permanent solutions to homelessness. Click here to learn how to donate.
- Have a skill or in-kind service you would like to provide? Contact Erin Donohue at 617-367-6447, MHSA might have an opportunity for you. If not, we can direct you to one of our 90 member organizations.
Whether you donate your time, skills or resources, your efforts are greatly appreciated in helping end homelessness in Massachusetts.
Thank you for your readership and helping us revolutionize the way homelessness is addressed in the Commonwealth.
Learn more about what you can do to end homelessness:
National Alliance to End Homelessness