Devastating Fire in Lowell Leaves Scores Homeless – How You Can Help


A fire incident of any magnitude is devastating, but none more so when there is a loss of life. These families have been completely devastated.

The Lowell Sun has the full story here

Here at CTI, we are working closely with the City of Lowell, the Red Cross, The Wish Project and scores of community partners to coordinate this crisis and ensure that these families have the right resources to assist them through this period.

At times when situations are at their worst, our community is at its’ best. Listed below are ways that you may help these families.

We have had several requests from many wonderful people in our community who have clothing, furniture and home goods to donate to assist these families once they have been rehoused. These types of donations should be given to The Wish Project. The hours of operation for The Wish Project are Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday’s from 9a-2pm. They are located at 1A Foundry St. Lowell, MA 01852.

Another way to help is to put together an emergency food box. The Wish Project, through the generosity of many caring people in our community will provide emergency food boxes for fire victims placed in motel/hotel. For a list of what these boxes should contain is here.

Additionally, Jeanne D’Arc Credit Union has set up a fund to be able to provide assistance to the families so tragically effected by this fire. Cash donations will be accepted at all Jeanne D’Arc Credit Union branches. More information and branch locations may be found here


CTI Seeking Housing Consumer Education Counselor Team Member

To apply online, click here

To view all openings currently available at CTI, click here

Here is the link to the full job description


Housing Consumer Education Counselor
Are you interested in a position that will make a difference in your life and the lives of others? Community Teamwork is a private non-profit organization with over 400 employees dedicated to reducing barriers and creating opportunities for low income individuals and families.
In addition to fully utilizing your skills, Community Teamwork offers opportunities for continued professional development and career growth. Great teams, a competitive salary and
well above average benefits including a generous contribution to employee 401k plans make Community Teamwork a highly regarded employer. We are seeking a Housing Consumer Education Counselor to provide assistance to clients seeking HCEC services, including making referrals, assessing client needs and providing counseling and education to clients related to housing and utility assistance issues. Responsibilities also include working with challenging client situations; leading, co-leading and assisting in the expansion and development of HCEC workshops; outreach activities to clients
and community; managing data entry and database tracking; statistical reporting; following guidelines and requirements of HCEC funding sources; attending meetings and trainings.

HUD Contingency – How Federal Government Shut Down Effects Your Community


In light of the Federal Government’s shut down, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has issued its’ contingency plan and may be viewed here.

Many providers within the Merrimack Valley Regional Network to End Homelessness, including Community receive a fair portion of their funding through HUD.

October HUD payments have in many cases already been drawn down. However, if this government shut down continues into November, there will be major challenges ahead.

CTI’s Housing Education Center Seeking Two New Team Members


If you are seeking a busy work environment, have experience helping people problem solve around housing challenges this opportunity is for you!

We are seeking two Housing Consumer Education Counselors with one counselor sited in our North Shore housing education center. Below is the job description. To apply, click here


¨      Provides assistance to clients seeking Housing Consumer Education Center services and makes referrals to other resources when appropriate. 

¨      Assesses client needs through intake, which include services requested by the client, the services provided to the client, and other needs that the counselor and client determine.  Continue reading

Resources for Non EA Shelter/Community Rooms Placement


Resources for Non-EA Shelter/Community Rooms Placement

Interfaith Hospitality Network








508-315-3170 Continue reading

What to do after you’ve been a victim of a house fire


What to do After You’ve Been the Victim of a Fire

At the Scene of the fire

Find out from the Fire Department or from the Inspectional Services the severity of the fire. Can you move back in to your apartment immediately? If not, can the officials estimate when you can return? How much damage was caused to your living space? How long will the utilities be turned off?

▪ The Red Cross may be present on the scene. Find out from a Red Cross staff if they can put you up at a local hotel. If so, for how long? Find out what other services Red Cross can provide by way of clothing and food if needed. The Red Cross may be limited in how much they can help.

Contact the landlord or property manager. Find out who the insurance adjustor is for the property. If repairs need to be made before you can move back in, try to find out how long it will take the landlord to complete necessary repairs. The City will have to inspect the living space before you will be allowed to move back in. Continue reading

Condemnation! What Happens Now?


With the rate of inspections increasing, we are seeing an increase in the number of households having to vacate their apartment units. Quite often the “code” issues were identified by the tenant prior to moving in with no written inspections in place to hold the landlord accountable. We do have simple move-in inspection forms available here in the Housing Consumer Education Center.

Mass Legal provides a great resource on the issue of condemned housing and tenant rights:

What to do when your home has been condemned

If a housing inspector finds that all or a part of the building you live in is “unfit” to live in and that repairs cannot be made while you are living in the property, the Board of Health may issue a finding that the dwelling or a portion of the dwelling is unfit for human habitation. This finding may lead to the Board of Health’s ordering that the building be condemned, that the landlord close up the property, and that the occupants vacate the portion that is unfit. If the Board of Health condemns your building, legally, you do not have to move until after a judge orders you to move. Continue reading